Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Happy Rescue Day!

One picture.
That's all it took.  Just one.
One look at this face and I knew.
That face and those four paws needed to be in my life.
How did I know?
I have no idea...it's just a feeling.
A feeling that your life would never be full without them.
A feeling that you had to go get them, wherever they were.
A guess that's how love at first sight feels.
I've never felt that with a guy with two legs,
but I definitely know the feeling with a guy with four paws.
 
We had never met.
He was in Yakima, Washington...I was in West Linn, Oregon.
He needed a home...He needed someone to help him get well.
I had a home needing a dog...
I had a hole in my heart that only a furry best friend could fill.
I guess you could call it a successful online relationship!
I didn't ask any questions about him.
Really, I didn't care.
All I knew was that I needed to have him in my life.
I knew that he was sick.
There was a month waiting period before he could be adopted.
I never asked what he had...
I didn't care what it was, because I would care for him.
I needed to care for someone, and he needed care = perfect combo.
I drove hours...
He had waited months...
Nervously I arrived at the house-run shelter
...not knowing what I would find.
I saw him...he saw me.
He cried at my feet, and my heart jumped.
It was done.
We were each others, to care for.
He was scared, so I gathered all 35 pounds of him in my arms
and carried him to my car.
I briefly asked about his personal and medical history.
This is everything that I heard...
-He and his sister were rescued from a home filled with feces. (Hoarder)
-They were the only pups to survive.
-They both had parvo, worms, and any other parasite that a dog could have.
-They had to fight for food.
-They had been very sick.
-They had both been "fixed".
That's it.
But, really...I didn't care.  Whatever he needed, he would get.
 

Miracles do happen.
Two lives changed forever.
One picture was all it took.

Murphy- Rescued, March 13, 2010
Lori- Rescued, March 13, 2010

No comments:

Post a Comment