Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Little Lights, Shine Bright

There are many things that I love...
Cookies...
Baking treats...
Eating treats...hehe...that's a good one, right? Can't forget that!
Bright berries ready to pick...
Warm coffee...
Dear Friends...
But, two of my main loves...caring for dogs and educating kids.
I love that dogs are so loyal and love unconditionally...
I love that kids live to learn and experience new things...they too trust and love with great abandon.
 
 
 
Today, I had the joy of bringing those two things together.
Kids helping dogs.  How cool is that?!

Mission: Salt + Light is a Portland based group focused on helping people and projects in the area.  They run a program called Little Lights"What is Little Lights? Our hope is that we will be able to provide ideas, inspiration and opportunities to people who are interested in getting their children involved with philanthropic deeds or volunteering at an early age." (Mission: Salt+Light)

  The project for Little Lights today was dog-centered.  Fences for Fido centered.   Kids having a great love for other creatures...especially dogs.  Floppy ears, surplus of kisses, and always ready to play...wait, am I talking about dogs or kids?  Either way, it's pure joy.
Now, I'm not going to lie.  I heard that there would be about 40 kids coming to the event...that is a scary amount of kids.  If it was 40 teens, than that would be a whole different game.  I know how to handle teens...but kids? Children? Man, that made me nervous. 
So I took a big, deep breath and told myself it would be just fine.
And it was fantastic, because it was kids working on things for dogs.
Today the focus was on crafting surprises for Fences for Fido volunteers,
writing letters, drawing a lot of cute pups, and painting a bright and cheerful doghouse.
And I love a good craft! 
 How cute are these dogs? 
Just like each real dog, each of these dogs are unique and filled with love.
And ADORABLE...I love this one.
 
This pup has so much love that it needed TWO hearts!
Give me a little paper, glue, and some scissors and I'll try to make something right along with the kids.  But today I will be helping with all of my little friends painting with love.  These kids have a lot of love to paint!





 Love overload!
 
My heart is overflowing with love for these kids, their families, and Mission:Salt + Light for making this event possible.  42 kids with their families showed up to make a difference in the lives of families and dogs around Portland, and my beloved Fences for Fido.  For that, I'm eternally grateful.  I had no idea that this many people who reach out to help an organization that I adore.  My hope is that these kids will grow up with a love of animals, and that they will educate others about caring for dogs.  It might be a little step, but it's a step to keeping dogs off of a chain and in the family home. I couldn't ask for more than that.  Little lights, you shined very bright today!



No comments:

Post a Comment