Monday, March 25, 2013

The Love of Dove





Love is a legacy multiplied over time.
Legacy...I know that I'm not alone in thinking about it.
I don't have kids.
Sure, I teach a lot of them and I hope that I make a good lasting impact.  Enough of an impact that they will think back on their middle school years with at least the knowledge that I cared for them.
But few of us will achieve the legacy that Dove Lewis (Yes, there was a REAL Dove Lewis has created right here in Portland....I dream that I could though. 
Tragedy can strike at anytime.
I've been fortunate enough to have only a few times where I needed treatment for my animals urgently. During those times, my local veterinary, Wilsonville Veterinary Clinic has been open so I haven't needed other services, but I'm sure thankful that we live in a city that provides state-of-the-art technology and care for our furry family members.  Not every city is so lucky.

Portland is a unique city.  We pride ourselves on being weird and different.  One of my favorite, most beloved differences is that we care for our pets like members of our cherished families.  Here in Portland (and surrounding areas) pets are not just animals...oh no.  They are much more than that...they are an integral part of what makes a family whole.  Of course, family deserves the best medical care possible, and we have the absolute best emergency facility right in our city at Dove Lewis Emergency Animal Hospital.

If you're like me, then you feel VERY lucky not to have used their services, but did you know that they provide so much more to our community than just medical care? 

1. Pet Loss Support

When I had to put Quincy down, my heart was crushed.  For a year I couldn't speak about him without getting teary-eyed.  I mourned, and I know that my grief was not unusual.  Thankfully, Dove Lewis has a program to help us through the terrible loss of a furry family member.

Every last moment of Quincy's life is embedded in my mind.  Dove Lewis makes these last moments a little bit easier by creating a comfortable environment to say goodbye.  From the moment that I stepped into the Comfort Room, I felt it.  Peace. Warmth. Love.  Just the way you would want to have the last moments.  But the support doesn't end there.  Dove Lewis has thought through the many needs of grief.  Some of the support includes, art therapy, grief support, sympathy cards, memorial tree, pet loss journals, and much more.  I didn't reach out for help with my grief when I lost Quincy, but I know that when the day comes that I have to let go of Murphy, I will need a lot of support.  A lot.

2. Charlie Fund
Abuse should never, ever happen...but sadly, it does.  I will never understand why someone would deliberately harm another living creature, but it's not the victims fault.  Dove Lewis makes sure that animals that have been harmed receive the best care and love possible.  My heart still aches, but I am eternally grateful that Dove Lewis is there.

3. Stray Animal & Wildlife
I wish that I had known about this when I was 16.  While my parents were out of town, a client at the vet clinic brought in a sweet, baby squirrel, way too young to be away from the nest.  The Veterinarian and I tried our best to care for it.  We tried to call the Wildlife Agency, but they were closed...Sadly, even with me feeding it all night long, eventually the baby squirrel died.  Now, you might think that my attempt to save a baby squirrel was silly or unnecessary, but not to me and definitely not to that little baby...even if it was just for a day.  If this were to happen again, I would definitely not hesitate to take it to Dove Lewis.

4. The Velvet Financial Assistance Fund
Understandably, people worry about the cost of treatment for a sick or injured animal.  Dove Lewis helps elevate some of the worry by having assistance for low-income families.  How cool is that?  This allows people to focus on their furry family member and not on the cost.  I love that.

5. Blood Bank
Blood?!  Whenever I hear the word blood, I hear this little boy saying,"Blood?"
You're right kid, blood isn't funny. And Dove Lewis is serious aout their blood bank.


Here is just one of the super feline blood donors. 
Murphy has super blood according to some...
maybe, as he gets more confident he could donate some of his super blood to help other pups.
Until then, he'll just use his super powers to splash in his splashy pool.



Dove Lewis' influence and love spreads wide around Oregon and Southwest Washington.
What a legacy huh?  I wonder if Dove thought that her love of animals would stretch this far?  Somehow I like to picture her looking down from her angel perch, nodding her head and smiling.  Nicely done Dove. Nicely done.

Dove Lewis

A huge THANK YOU to Julie Heade for the fabulous behind-the-scenes tour.  I learned so much more about Dove Lewis and I can't wait to volunteer, help raise awareness, and maybe funds too!  My gut tells me that Charlie's Fund will be one of my first priorities.  


Hugs,
Lori and Murphy too

2 comments:

  1. Lori, what a terrific post! We are so glad that you were able to come down and see us at DoveLewis. Thanks for the wonderful Dove Love. We can't wait for you to start volunteering too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was my pleasure! I'm truly in awe of the remarkable work that Dove Lewis does in our community and so thankful to have you near if I ever needed help for my pup. <3

      Delete