Monday, March 11, 2013

Furry Friend Poetry

Inspiration is all around us. 
My head seems to be filled with
puppies, wagging tails,and dogs running free.
So it was no surprise to me when one of my favorite poems
that I wrote with the kids was about "Un-Chaining Aurora".
How could I not be inspired by that experience?!
Now, let me back up a bit...
Last week I started teaching a unit on poetry.
I was a little nervous myself...
...but we started off slow.
I emphasized that poetry didn't have to be all about trees, flowers, and nature.
It didn't have to rhyme.
It didn't have to be intimidating and scary.
You don't even have to worry about punctuation! Bonus!
Heck, it could also be about animals too.

Hmmm...
Why in the world would my students write so much poetry about animals?
Dogs...cats...horses?
Shocking!?!
Nah.
No surprise at all.
My students really took hold of that idea about animals,
particularly dogs and rolled with it.
I guess they knew the way straight into their teachers' heart. :0)
Just for fun, and to make your week a little brighter...
ANIMAL POETRY
Simile Poetry: Aren't these as cute as a kitten?






Another type of poetry that inspired the students to write about animals was
CONCRETE POETRY.
Farty? Really?  Okay, at least it's honest.
Guess which students were sitting next to each other during the activity? Yeah...tough one, right?

And, here was my favorite...
If that doesn't make you smile, then...well, you need serious help.
Just kidding...sort of.
SO CUTE!
Now, doesn't this make you want to go write some animal poetry?
Oh, it doesn't?
Well, I hope it at least showed you that poetry
doesn't have to be about trees, flowers, and nature.
...instead it should always be about dogs, cats, and horses!

No comments:

Post a Comment