Sunday, March 24, 2013

Please Use Caution


It's official.
I'm worried.
Keep in mind that I've been worried for awhile.
My students would attest that I worry about poor behavior
or behavior that could escalate into something larger and much worse.

I worry that our society is always looking for the newer, better, and more convenient products.
The newest computer? Trade the old one in!
Launch of a new cellphone? BOOM... upgrade!
Not enough room in your house, car, yard?
Why you shouldn't a newer, better, faster, bigger, prettier....whatever.
Yeah. Please.
Yes...I have a big yard. Necessary for dog playtime.
Yes, I have an SUV. Totally needed to haul a muddy, wet dog around town.
And yes, I like pretty, sparkly things. Duh.
I love to sparkle.
I even like new things.
But I'm going to draw a big worried line in the societal sand here about this.
There is a business currently open called Hannah the Pet Society. They provide pets for people. Sounds great, right? Heck, you know I adore pets!   In fact, there are some positives in that Hannah the Pet Society allows people the opportunity to have a pet.  But most people who go through this organization don't actually own the pet.  They have a contract with Hannah the Pet Society which sounds nice...1) All veterinary care provided  2) Food and supplies delivered and 3) Training and On-going support.

So you might be wondering what the problem is with that.
Well, in my mind there's a big "Yield" sign flashing.

People can lease a pet. Yes, lease...like a car. But, this has more of a Rent-a-Center vibe to it, because if you're not happy or there's a flaw with your lease, you can return and exchange it.  Return...okay, I get that some matches might not work and yes, animals are expensive.  There are times that animals have larger issues then families are able to care for, and so it is much better to find them a new home.  Still, I worry that this kind of business model will promote temporary relationships. I know, I know.  Not all dogs are as smart as my Murphy.  Some are not analyzing every situation like he does, but I see how quickly pets "fall in love" with their families...so I worry.
We're talking here about living creatures, with real emotions and feelings, not a handbag or TV. It's a dog, cat, bird, rabbit. Animals make connections right away. Within seconds if seeing Murphy, he was my family. He trusted me and looked to me for safety and guidance. It's my job to care for him.  Of course, I think of my pets as family, so I prepare for it like I would with any family member.  No, I can't predict that something bad will happen that may cost me a lot of money in medical bills, but I know that it's my responsibility.  Pet ownership IS a responsibility and we should treat it as such.

In my mind, living things are not exchangeable. No dog, cat, bunny, horse, or pony replace those that I've lost. I would never attempt to replace Woody (8 years), Bun-Bun (10 years), Jinx (18 years), Babe (28 years), Spunky (28 years), Quincy (16 years), Sammy (18 years), or Roy (14 years). By adopting new pets, I just add to my list of animals that will changed and stretch my heart.

Also, I can't help but wonder...
What are we teaching these animals about the value of their life if we show them that they're exchangeable?

How can we teach our children to love and care, long-term,when we support business that treats animals like a product?

I certainly will not support it.

But more pressing on my mind in is...what will you do? Will you support actual humane societies that promote lifelong relationships or designer, convenience pet ownership?

Please educate others that pets are a lifelong commitment.

Remember...your actions demonstrate what you truly believe. Live a life that you can look back on and be proud that you made it a better place. We can all make a difference. No action is too small.

All my warmest hugs,
Lori and Murphy too!

they have a very large FAQ's section that address questions
that have been asked about their product.

After (or before) reading their FAQ's,
check out some of my favorite local humane societies! I have NO worries about these fabulous organizatons.
Oregon Humane Society
Oregon Humane Society



 

Family Dogs New Life Shelter

 


Cat Adoption Team

Home
Humane Society for Southwest Washington

No comments:

Post a Comment