Wednesday, September 5, 2012

First Day=Brag Day

Some of my students came to school like this...
Some of them looked like this...

The first day of school is a tough one...
So many things to introduce...so many rules...so much talking.
It's rough, but it's gotta happen.

So today, I asked my students to brag on themselves a bit.
Since I love writing Top 10 lists, I asked my students to write their own top 10 list.

I can learn so much about each student by what they say about themselves.
But, if they are going to write one...I need to write one also.

So...here's my attempt on bragging about myself as a teacher.  I have to say, it's a bit difficult to brag, but here it goes.

10 Reasons Why I Rock
or
10 things that make me Unique/Special
or
10 things...that I can think of today...

10.  I love teaching!  This is my 14 year teaching, and I can't believe it.  Each day is different.  Each day is an adventure.

9.  I love animals!  If you've walked into my classroom before, then you know this. 

“A dog doesn't care if you're rich or poor, big or small, young or old. He doesn't care if you're not smart, not popular, not a good joke-teller, not the best athlete, nor the best-looking person. To your dog, you are the greatest, the smartest, the nicest human being who was ever born. You are his friend and protector.” ---Louis Sabin
8.  I'm creative and willing to try new things.  Sometimes the new things work, sometimes they don't, but that's ok.  At least I tried.

7.  I love to laugh.  People are funny.  Life is funny.  Will you laugh with me?

6.  I love to read.  Opening a book is like opening the door to a new world.  How fun is that?


5.  I love to write.  Writing is telling a story, expressing yourself and your thoughts- all of this is important.

4.  I'm a storyteller. As my student, you will learn this.  I love to weave a story so that you as the audience doesn't know what is coming next.  Storytelling is an art...I try to be a storytelling artist.

3.  Respect me, I'll respect you.  It's as simple as that.  If you are not respectful, I will wait to talk to you until you are. 

2.  I have 2 rules:  Work Hard and Be Nice.  That's it.  Everything fits into those rules...no really it does.

1.  I'm not perfect.  Yes, you read that correctly.  I'm not perfect.  But you're not perfect either.  We are both going to make mistakes and that's just fine.  Don't worry about mistakes...worry if you don't try again after making that mistake.  :0)

This is going to be a great year!

1 comment: