Saturday, September 1, 2012

Timeless Zucchini Bread

Looking through my recipes is like taking a trip back in time.
Today I had a a bit of time and a stack of zucchini
...so I took a stroll back in time though the sections of my recipe box.

Jackie Miller...this is her zucchini bread recipe.
I have lovely memories of her.
She was the head secretary at my middle school.
In fact, I loved the staff there, which is one of the main reasons that I teach middle school.
The teachers were fun, and really liked being around the craziness that is middle school.
I wanted to be a part of that...and I am. :0)

But back to Jackie...
Mrs. Miller.
She was always there to greet me with a smile.
And on really tough days, a hug too.
You see, my mom worked at my middle school.
Some kids would hate that, but I loved it.
Plus, I love my mom...so it was nice to have her around through my awkwardness.
It gave me different relationships with the staff at the school.
Many of them were like a second and third and fourth moms.
Yeah, see...many things don't change.
It took a village to care for me then, and it takes a village today.
I have a fabulous village of people...past and present.

Jackie was also a wonderful baker...
...and this recipe is like a yummy, warm hug from Mrs. Miller.

Zucchini Bread
2 medium loaves
or 7 small loaves
or 24 muffins.

Ingredients:
3 eggs
2 cups of sugar
1 cup oil
1 Tbl. vanilla
2 cups zucchini
3 cups whole wheat flour
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. salt
1 Tbl. cinnamon
1/2 cup nuts (optional)
1/2 cup raisins (optional)
*When making this for others, I generally leave the last two ingredients out.

Directions:
1. Preheat the oven to 325 degrees.
2. Grease and flour pans.
3. Blend together eggs, sugar, oil, and vanilla. Once it is blended, mix in the zucchini.
4. Add soda, powder, salt, and cinnamon.
5. Gradually add the whole wheat flour. I like to add 1 cup of flour at a time and mix well between each addition.











6. If you want, you can add the nuts and/or raisins at this time.
7. Scoop into prepared pans. Bake for 1 hour in large pans, 30-35 minutes in medium pans, and 20-25 minutes for muffins.
8. Let it cool at bit, if you are able to resist the aroma of deliciousness.

Thank you Mrs. Jackie Miller for all of the hugs...real and through your recipes.
:0)

No comments:

Post a Comment