Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Plummy Tart


Growing up I really didn't like plums. 
My parents had two plum trees by the barn, so in the summer walking to the barn was a challenge.
When I saw plums, I saw bees, heard bees, and ran from the bees.
Bees loved plums, therefore I didn't like plums.


So, for most I my life I have avoided plums, but this year I decided to give plums another chance.
I hadn't planned on purchasing plums...I'd rather spend my money on pears.  I love pears.
But my friend had a tree overflowing with plums, branches hanging low to the ground with fruit...so I took some home.

For a couple days I thought about the plums, not knowing what to do...
...then I remembered how much I love fruit tarts. 

How bad can a plum be if it is wrapped in a delicious shortbread tart? 
Suddenly, the plum was beautiful again.
Beautiful plums deserve a beautiful tart...and this one is really pretty.


Plummy Tart
Filling adapted from Rich and Sweet
 
Ingredients:

For Crust:
1 1/2 cups flour
8 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, cut into pieces
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
lemon zest from one lemon
1 egg yolk

For Filling:
1 cup sugar
3 tablespoons cornstarch
2 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
8-10 ripe plums, pitted and cut into wedges
2 tablespoons blackberry preserves
        (or whatever preserves you have on hand...I had fresh blackberry.)

Directions:
1. For Filling:  Cut and pit plums...place them in a large bowl with sugar, cornstarch, and lemon juice. Mix it around so that all of the plum are nicely coated.  Let it sit for about 30 minutes.  Drain the plum mixture into a colander and save the liquid...let it drain for 20-30 minutes to get all of the liquid from the plum mixture.
























2. For Crust: Make the crust while the plums are sitting in the liquid for 30 minutes. Mix the flour, brown sugar, salt, lemon zest, and butter until combined and crumbly.  Add the egg yolk and mix again. 
 
3. Crust continued: Press the crumbly crust mixture into a ball and press somewhat evenly into a tart pan, or as I like to...a spring formed pan.  (I have a tart pan, but I'm still hooked on this way.)  Poke the crust with a fork...not through the crust, just on the top. Place it in the refrigerator until the filling is ready.
 
4.  Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.
 
5. Filling:  Cook the plum liquid over medium heat until it thickens...make sure you watch it and stir often.  Once it is thicker, set it aside so that it can cool a bit.
 
6. Put it together: Take the crust out of the refrigerator and spread preserves on the crust.  Then pour the plum liquid over the preserves and lay the sliced plums all over.
 
7. Cook Time:  Cook at 425F for 15 minutes, then lower the temp to 350F and cover the tart loosely with foil.  Bake at the lower temp. for another 45 minutes.
 
8. Almost ready to eat:  Remove the tart from the oven and let it cool completely.  Place in the refrigerator until you are ready to dig in. Whipped cream would make this dessert perfect.
          Make sure you share this with those that you care about...
                                                  ...a lovely tarty hug to spread love to those around you.  :0)

No comments:

Post a Comment