Sunday, September 16, 2012

Hot Date Night

It's Saturday Night...date night...
I've got a hot date.
The lights are low, the wine is poured and the movie has just started.
We've just settle down on the couch for the evening...
Me and my favorite cookbooks = Perfect Date.  :0) hehe
It's never a disappointing date....never.

Cookbooks...they live in random places in my house.
In the kitchen, well, that's normal...
...but they're also stacked by the couch, in front of the TV, and by the bed.
Flipping through these little gems is relaxing to me.
I wish that I could have a delivery from Amazon everyday, but then I would never have time to actually make anything from my cookbooks.
Hopefully, there will be a bookstore opening around me again soon...
I miss getting lost in the cookbook section.

Today I'm getting lost in my favorite cookbooks...half of them are old favorites, and half of them are new discoveries...soon to be favorites I'm sure.

Oldies, but goodies

#1~The Good Housekeeping Illustrated Cookbook~ Copyright 1980
 The copyright date is essential.  Newer additions of this cookbook do not have the important recipes or the classically cheesy pictures. Anytime that I find a copy of this cookbook, I snatch it up quickly.  Each time that I see a stack of old cookbooks in a thrift store, book store, or garage sale, I look earnestly through them to make sure I don't miss a copy. 

#2~The Corner House Cook Book~


This is a local cookbook that was created by a lovely group of woman that I have heard stories about, but don't remember meeting.  The Corner House is located in Sellwood, Oregon.  When I was a little girl, my mom took painting classes at that house with a group of older ladies in the Charlotte's Workshop classes. Up until last year, I didn't own a copy of this cookbook.  My mom had been using it for years and I was always jealous.  Then, at one garage sale, there it was...in a stack of books...a diamond in the rough. and it was mine. For the ladies that created this book, you might be gone, but your recipes live on...I hope that I can be that lucky one day.

#3~The Art of Preserving~
It's published by Williams Sonoma, so it has to be good, right?! Okay, not everything with a big name is great, but this one is. I love this canning guide because recipes are simply delicious and the pictures are beautiful.  You must have this book if you enjoy canning and need some new challenges.


#4~Ball Blue Book of Canning~

Basic, clear, precise instructions for the beginning canner and reminders for the experienced canner are found in the book.  Enough said....it's must for all.













#5~Hershey's Chocolate and Cocoa Cookbook


My mom loves chocolate, but she particularly loves Hershey's chocolate...this is a cookbook for her heart. Classic, simple delicious recipes.  There will be a post soon inspired from this book. 
Who knows, maybe it will be fondue?
Maybe not...Let's be honest, we're friends...
...it's probably going to be a cake or cookies.
New, Soon-to-be Favorites
Some of my favorite gifts include cookbooks...surprised? Yeah, I didn't think so.  Sometimes I gift myself, but thankfully, others gift me with divine books too. Here's just a little peek at some of my new books.  I haven't tried recipes yet, but soon...very soon.

#1~The Back in the Day Bakery Cookbook~
Cheryl and Griffith Day, founded Back in the Day Bakery in Savannah, Georgia, in 2002.
#2~Joy the Baker~

Joy the Baker Cookbook: 100 Simple and Comforting Recipes~ Joy Wilson

#3~Vintage Cakes~
 Vintage Cakes: Timeless Recipes for Cupcakes, Flips, Rolls, Layer, Angel, Bundt, Chiffon, and Icebox Cakes for Today's Sweet Tooth [Hardcover]
Julie Richardson

#4~ Top Pot Hand-Forged Doughnuts~

  These doughnuts will be the first ones made...just for Kristi...
I know that you miss these Seattle beauties.  :0)

No comments:

Post a Comment