Friday, August 31, 2012

Two Joes and Two Projects

My nephew, Joe, is just a remarkable young man. 
Simply, just a amazing kid. 
I know that he is my nephew,
                        but he's just the coolest young Joe that I know.
No, seriously...he's awesome!
And those are some awesome Handerpants!

There is another Joe...but he's much older, and he's my dad. 
He's cool too, but my nephew, well, he's got a style all his own.








So, I have two Joes and two projects.  :0) 
Both ideas come from Pinterest...no surprise there. 















Their first goal is to make a bird house.  But not just any bird house, the condo-style birdhouse for the modern birds.  The original idea was a bit ambitious...so dad adjusted the concept.

The Joes worked on the birdhouse condo first.
They had worked on the basic design weeks earlier,
so now they added dividers and drilled the openings.
Joe learned how to use the drill press. :0)
Look at all of that wood fly!

They still have a little bit of work to do, but it looks really cool...














The second goal was to get an old door ready to be my new headboard. 
 
My dad, the first Joe, found this fabulous door.  It was exactly what I wanted.  Originally, I wanted a door to paint, but when I saw the old vintage stain on this door, there was no way that I could paint it.

So Joe worked on getting this sanded so that we could seal it
He had the tough job...
I had the easy job...matching the old varnish with stainable putty...then staining the edges.
The guys at Ace Hardware gave me a great tip...mix the stain with the putty BEFORE applying it to the holes. The stain doesn't take always take to the putty very well, stainable putty or not. 
I think that it's pretty close...
 Tada!
Now I just need it installed in my bedroom! :0) 
I can't wait...
...hint, hint Dad.


2 comments:

  1. You have such wonderful Joes in your life to help you with such great projects! Love the door headboard! I have always wanted to do that too! Looks great . . . post a pic when you get it installed. : )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! My Joes are fabulous! :0) I'm so excited to have my new headboard up...hopefully soon, and I will definitely post a pic. Hugs.

      Delete