Monday, August 6, 2012

Oh Baby! Lemon Bar Love


Lemon Bars. There are so many recipes out there for these tasty little treats, but from what I've found, many of them come up short.  Either the bars are too thin or not lemony enough whenever I've made them.  So my goal today was to make a bar that was thick enough and just enough lemon to satisfy the picky critics.  I think that this recipe is pretty perfect and simple for anyone to make in a jiffy.

So here is my version of lemon bars...
Don't ya love my bulk containers?!
Yep, I'm a bulk buyer...and I love Bob's Red Mill...but more on that later.

Lemon Bar Love

adapted from Bakerella  http://www.bakerella.com/lemon-bars-and-a-little-helper/

Shortbread Crust:
1 cup butter
1 3/4 cup flour
2/3 cup confectioner’s sugar

zest from one lemon
Topping:
1 1/2 cup plain sugar
1/2 cup flour
1 tsp baking powder
4 eggs, slightly beaten
3/4 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice (This makes a huge difference in taste-make it fresh!)

confectioner's sugar for dusting on the top

Preheat oven to 350 degrees
Grease and flour a 9 X 13 pan (This is a VERY important step! Unlike Martha Stewart, I won't forget to tell you this!)

To make shortbread crust: 1. In a mixer on low speed, mix together flour, confectioner’s sugar, and lemon zest.
2. Cut in butter using small amounts until combined and crumbly.
3. Press mixture into bottom of the well-greased pan.
4. Bake for 20 minutes or until lightly golden. It always smelled lovely...I LOVE SHORTBREAD!
To make topping:   1. While crust is baking, prepare topping.  2. Squeeze 3 large lemons.  I like to do this with my hands and then drain to remove seeds.  I love how my kitchen smells so fresh!

3. In your mixer on a low speed, add sugar, flour, and baking powder and mix it up.
4. Then add slightly beaten eggs and lemon juice.
5. Mix it up well and pour on top of warm baked crust.
6. Bake for 25 minutes.
7. When cool, dust with confectioner’s sugar and refrigerate.
8. Cut into bars and enjoy them cold!
  See that little dangling piece?  Yeah, that one.  That's going straight into my mouth!
"Hmmm....Yummmmmm!" said while powdered sugar flies out of my mouth.
Hehehe  :0)

No comments:

Post a Comment