Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Today, I was blessed at the market...

Literally...I was blessed.

This happens frequently.
Last week it happened at the eye doctor.
Today, it happened at the grocery store.

I wish that I had a dollar for each one...that would be great for my retirement account!
But, instead I get a warm heart.

I am blessed by random people because of my job.

The situations are surprisingly similar...

I tell someone my job..."I'm a teacher."
                          They respond, "Oh great! Which grade?"
                                                                                 "7th and 8th..." I reply.

"Oh..." Big pause...
                        then, this is what happened at the doctor's office. 
The nurse turned to me, shaking her head.  "Oh, wow...bless you! Bless you!" She repeated over and over.

Sometimes they just say it.
Sometimes they do the sign of the cross.
Sometimes they even bow in my direction.
Sometimes they thank me profusely.
And SOMETIMES they do all of this...that was the response from the nurse at the doctor.

It's always surprising and a little funny to see how people react. 

Why is this an age that can strike fear in the toughest people?
Forget the secret service...Forget the navy seals...Need to bring in someone? Just send in a group of middle school kids.  Apparently, they're scary, and the bad dudes will surrender in no time.

I must be a tough cookie, because I LOVE 'EM!

Top 10 reasons that I LOVE TEACHING MIDDLE SCHOOL:

10.  They're Goofy:  Yep...they are goofy and will join in goofy antics.  Most are not afraid of doing silly things for fun as long as they feel safe.

9.  Skits:  Middle School kids love to write and perform skits.  They love to act in skits and I love to watch skits...How perfect is that?

8.  Humor:  They still laugh at my stupid jokes...even when I've said the joke before! :0)  Ya gotta love that!
7. Dance Parties:  Whoop! Whoop! They'll have a dance party any day and any time...even for 60 seconds.  Hey, everyone has to get their wiggles out during the day.

6. Coloring:  I call crayons, colored pencils, etc. magic wands because as soon as they have one in their hand it gets quiet. I think the focused coloring helps them to be calm.  But, shhhhh....it might be the only time that they're quiet and they don't have to be, so don't tell them.

5.  Trends:  They keep me informed on what is currently trendy, therefore, they keep me up-to-date in the world of teenagers.  This helps me in so many ways, especially since I don't have cable...no MTV... nothing...How would I know about Snookie and JWow without these kids?!

4.  Honesty:  Ok...yes, some kids lie...some adults lie...they've had a lot of practice lying, but generally middle school students are honest.  If you are honest with them, if you respect them, you will get the same in return.  But when a teen compliments you, you can guarantee that it's true.  If it wasn't, they would say anything at all. 

3.  Learners: Middle school students act as if they don't like school. They are actors. They act as if they are bored, but it's just an act. They are inquisitive and eager to learn. They ask incredible questions and genuinely want the answer.

2. Passionate:  Students can walk in laughing and then be crying ten minutes later...they feel things deeply, emotionally, but that also allows them to discover who they are and who they want to be.  It's fabulous to watch a student try, win, fail, and learn those things everyday.

1.  They're funny.  Period.  That's it....They're funny.  They say funny things, they laugh, snort, giggle, and fall out of their chairs.  And sometimes this happens all at once!  Mostly, they make me smile and proud to be their teacher.  There is never a boring day in a middle school.

And sometimes
I say funny things,
                        laugh,
                               snort,
                                     giggle,
                                          and fall out of my chair too. 
                                                But they get it and giggle too. :0)

No comments:

Post a Comment