Sunday, July 29, 2012

Got Zucchini?

Who doesn't, right? 
Zucchini...it seems to be the veggie that people ditch on your doorstep and try to throw in your direction.  But it doesn't have to be a thorn in your side.  It can be something new and spicy.

I love to preserve food, and this summer I wanted to try pickling.  Now, for me, I don't really like pickles.  I guess you could say that I'm picky about my pickles or pickled items.  I like them a bit sweet and a bit sour. 

My guidebook for pickling is this beautiful book.

This week I received some zucchini and summer squash in my CSA box and thought that I would try and different take on this troublesome veggie.


Pickled Zucchini Relish
By Rick Field and Rebecca Courchesne
Recipe copied from the book listed above

2lbs. zucchini ( I mixed in squash too- half and half)
1 large yellow or white onion, diced
1 red bell pepper, seeded and diced
2 Tbsp salt
1 1/4 cups sugar
1 cup distilled white vinegar
1 tsp celery seeds
1 tsp freshly grated nutmeg
1/2 tsp ground turmeric
1/2 tsp freshly ground pepper

Directions:



1. Chop, chop, chop...Chop zucchini (and squash), onion, and red bell pepper into small pieces.  Place in a non-reactive bowl with the salt.  Mix to combine.  Cover and let it sit at room temperature for at least 6 hours, but you can leave it sitting for a whole day.

2. The next day...have your jars and lids ready to go.

3. Drain and rinse the zucchini mixture a couple times.

4. Place the zucchini mixture into a saucepan and add the sugar, vinegar, celery seeds, nutmeg, turmeric, pepper, and 1 cup of water.  Stir. This smells so good!

5. Bring the mixture to a boil over high heat, then reduce the heat to medium-low.  Let it simmer for 25-30 minutes, stirring occasionally, and until it becomes slightly thickened.


6. Ladle the hot relish into the jars, leaving 1/4 inch of headspace.  Remove bubbles and adjust the headspace.  Wipe the rims and seal with the lids.

7. Process jars for 10 minutes in a boiling-water bath.

8.  The sealed jars can be stored in a cool, dark place for up to a year.  :0)

One of my favorite comfort foods is egg salad.  I love egg salad.  When I'm having a bad day, nothing makes me feel better like yummy egg salad, well, and a cookie.   This is a good alternative to pickled relish and will be a perfect addition to my comforting egg salad.

Now I need a sandwich...at least I have the relish ready! :0)

No comments:

Post a Comment