Wednesday, July 18, 2012

The Tale of Three Salads


Isn't this view inspiring? So many delicious possibilities and I have a challenge. 

My parents are having some dear friends over for a Bar-B-Que and my mom would like me to make three salads.  Something fresh and light...and this is my market. :0)
~Hello darlings~
When I make salads, I'm really picky about the dressing.  I like simple flavors and things that are not heavy.  People who know me, know that I hate...I mean...HATE...mayonnaise.  Blah!  So none of these salads have that nasty ingredient.  Sorry for the lack of mayonnaise if you love it...it's gross.

Salad #1~ Quinoa Crunch Salad
(This is my absolute favorite! Yumma!)
Modified from
Eating for England, Quinoa Salad with Black Beans, Avocado and Cumin-Lime Dressing

Ingredients~
Dressing:


  • the zest of one lime
  • 2 limes, freshly squeezed juice
  • 1 tsp cumin
  • 1 tbsp olive oil
  • pinch of salt

  • http://www.bobsredmill.com/organic-quinoa-grain.html?&cat=6
    Salad:

  • 1 cup dry quinoa, rinsed
  • 1 tbsp olive oil
  • 1 3/4 cup water
  • 2 ears of corn, roasted and kernels cut off
  • 1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
  • 1 can garbanzo beans, drained and rinsed
  • 1 avocado, chopped into chunks
  • 1 pint cherry tomatoes, halved
  • 1/2 red onion, diced
  • 1 red bell pepper, chopped
  • small handful cilantro, chopped

  • Directions:
    1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Place ears of corn, still in the husk directly onto the rack in the oven.  Roast for 30 minutes. 
    2. Heat the olive oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Once it’s hot add the rinsed quinoa and toast for about 2-3 minutes until it starts smelling nutty. Add water, stir once, cover, and simmer with a lid on for 20 minutes.  It will smell delicious!
    3. While the corn and quinoa is cooking, chop and prepare all other ingredients.
    4. For the dressing by combining the lime juice, oil, cumin, and salt into a mason jar.  Screw on the lid and give it a really good shake. I love using mason jars! Plus, I have a lot around the house. :0)
    5. When the quinoa has finished cooking, remove it from heat and fluff with a fork. Add black beans and garbanzo beans to the warm quinoa to warm them up.
    6. Remove ears from the oven and let cool for a few minutes. Peel back the husk and cut the kernels off of the cob.
    7. Once the quinoa/bean mixture is cool, then add all the remaining ingredients, including the dressing, and mix. Adjust seasoning if necessary.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Salad #2~ Mediterranean Cucumber Salad
    This is not an original~I don't know where I got this one, but I modified it from another recipe.  This is just so easy and delicious!  I love it because I just have to remember equal parts of everything. :0)

    Ingredients~
    Dressing:
    • 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
    • 1/4 cup olive oil
    • pinch of salt
    Salad:
    • 4 medium cucumbers, seeded and chopped into chunks
    • 4 medium tomatoes, seeded and chopped into chunks or 1 pint of cherry tomatoes halved
    • 4 ounces of feta, I use the Mediterranean seasoned feta- go figure :0)


    Directions:
    1. Combine dressing ingredients in a mason jar and shaky-shake.
    2. Chop all of the salad ingredients into a bowl.
    3. Mix it all together!  Add the dressing slowly, and add as little or as much as you like. I'm a dressing minimalist.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Salad #3~ Lemon Broccoli Salad
    Modified from Alton Brown
    Ingredients~
    Dressing:
    • 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
    • 1 lemon, zested
    • 1 freshly squeezed lemon juice
    • 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
    • 1 teaspoon kosher salt
    • Pinch freshly ground black pepper
    • 1/4 cup olive oil
    Salad:
    • 3 heads of broccoli, rinsed and broken into bite-sized pieces
    • 1 pint cherry tomatoes, halved
    • 3 ounces coarsely chopped, toasted pecans or hazelnuts
    • Handful of fresh basil leaves- chopped
    • 6 slices of bacon (I had to add bacon, of course!)
    Directions
    1. Add all of the dressing ingredients into a mason jar and shake vigorously.  Adjust seasoning as necessary.  I added a bit more white wine vinegar to balance out the salt.

    2. Prepare all of the salad ingredients into a large bowl.  One hour before serving, pour the dressing over the salad...then enjoy!

    *********************************************************************************
    I love mason jars!!

    Now, I don't normally like dressing.  I'm the person that dips their fork gently into the dressing and places a small amount on the salad.  But once all of the ingredients had been combined for the broccoli salad, I felt that it needed MORE dressing.  Shocking, but true.  When I make this again, I will double the dressing.  I might even triple it so that I don't have to watch my dad pour ranch dressing over the top! This was NOT the desired effect on someone enjoying a fresh and light salad. Not surprising if you know my dad and his LOVE of drenching salad in dressing, but disappointing for the salad maker. :0P

    No comments:

    Post a Comment