Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Jars of Love


Jam, jam, jam!  I just can't make enough and to those who receive it, hopefully they agree! :0) The berries carefully picked for the latest batch of jam were...
Tayberries...
and Marionberries...

When I make jam, I really make jam.  Meaning, I make a lot of jam.  Jammin' is messy and requires a lot of supplies.  Therefore I like to make the mess, but if I can just have that mess for one day, then that's even better!
Jars!! :0)
The wide-mouthed, half-pint are my favorite!

Since I generally jam alone, I like to set everything up while the water-bath canner is warming up.  I have all of the jars and bands sterilized and waiting hot in the dishwasher.  All of the supplies are out on the counter...like I said...messy.


Some people like to use a food processor for their jam.  Me, I like to use the old-fashioned potato masher.

The potato masher, lets you, the "jammer", mash it to your liking.  I like my berries to still kind of look like berries.

When I make jam, I literally follow the direction in the Ball pectin box.  It's never let me down, and people love it!  The next few steps are hot...so be carefully!


I have burned myself a few times from the sputtering hot jam.  Like I said...be careful. 


Once you make jam the first time, you will have towels that are designated "jam towels."  I use these towels to cover the counter for ladling the jam in the jars and for the cooling stage.  They wash up pretty well, but there will always be a few stains.

Add the two-piece lids and place into the water-bath canner.
Set the timer according to the directions and your altitude.
Do you like my pink towel? It wasn't always pink!
If you are like me, and love the process of jammin',
you will repeat this process a few more times and then...
Jam is complete and ready to bring someone joy. 
When I picture someone opening my jam,
I like to picture sparkly confetti flying in the air.  :0)
BOOM! CONFETTI ATTACK!

No comments:

Post a Comment