Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Lemon Lovin'

One of my great loves....LEMON!
http://twistedfood.com/2011/05/04/tripps-tip-lemon-squeezing-101/
This morning I woke with a craving for lemon. I could even close my eyes and smell lemon! Those that have stepped into my home, know that I love anything yellow.  Yellow, yellow, yellow...My walls are even yellow.  The craving for lemon was relentless through my morning walk with Murphy and his playdate with his little girl-friend.   (Not girlfriend, but friend that is a girl.  Though I think he has a great love for her!)


So, what is a girl with a craving to do?!  Whip something up, of course!
Stronger than my love for lemon, is my love of baked goods.  Since it was breakfast, I just had to make scones. But not any scones, lemony scones!  I hadn't made these before, but I hoped that it would dull my need for lemon. 

I loved the idea of these Vanilla Bean Scones, but I didn't have any Vanilla Bean in the house. 
Vanilla Bean Scones Recipe

 



Of course, that would not dull the need for lemon....so

I modified the recipe and added in my own twists.

Very Lemony Scones

Ingredients:
2-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 cup cold butter, cut into small chunks

2 large eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup milk
zest of 2 lemons (for very lemon, which I love...if you want a hint of lemon, zest 1 lemon)

sugar crystals for sprinkling

Directions:
  • Mix together flour, sugar, sea salt, and baking powder.  I put it in my mixer and turn it on low until all of the dry ingredients are blended.
  • Add chunks of butter slowly and let it mix.  It should look like sand.
  • In a separate bowl, mix together eggs, vanilla, milk, and lemon zest.
  • Pour liquid mixture into flour mixture and slowly stir it together.  Mix until it has combined.
  • Divide dough in half and make 2 roundish balls.  Flatten each ball out to about 1 inch thick.
  • Cut each circle into 5 or six slices and place on a baking sheet that has been lined with parchment paper.
  • Sprinkle with sugar crystals for a lovely, sugar crunch.
Bake for 20-25 minutes at 425 degrees


Let them cool, if you can manage...
I couldn't so I plucked them right off of the cookie sheet. 
Delicious!
Enjoy :0)

1 comment: